With overnight temperatures of -2 forecast for most of Saturday night, we have decided to carry out a pitch inspection at St Lawrence Academy at 7am on Sunday morning to give the home games every possible chance of being played.
Normal policy is to continually check the Met Office and BBC websites for Scunthorpe in the days leading up to the game and to make a decision by 6pm on Saturday night, this prevents any issues arising on Sunday mornings. If there is any doubt as to the pitch condition, we check the pitch on Saturday afternoon.
Notts County team bus is booked and set to depart at 7.45am so we have to make the decision before they set off.
Involved in the decision as to whether games should go ahead or not are the following: the primary consideration is the safety, welfare and well-being of approx 120 players, on top of that we analyse the weather forecast for Scunthorpe, we take in to account the pitch condition, is the pitch safe for the players to play on? we also take in to account the safety, welfare & well-being of both sets of parents,the safety, welfare & well-being of both sets of staff, the safety, welfare & well-being of the match officials, everyone's safe travel to and from the game, the time that the opposition are due to set off for Scunthorpe, any travel expenditure the opposition may incur by travelling (approx £400-500 for a team bus), the St Lawrence catering staff reporting to work, the food that will be defrosted and prepared for consumption before, during and after games, the St Lawrence caretaker reporting for work, etc....etc...
SUFC Academy staff do not call games off lightly, we want every single game to be played, it is what we love doing but we do have to take many factors in to consideration. Hopefully this insight wil help people understand the decison making process much better.
Thank you for your support on this matter.
Updated 16:43 - 16 Dec 2017 by Jeff Daws